Scholarship: Women Accelerating the Energy Transition in LAC
FSR and IDB are proud to launch 20 scholarships for women Accelerating the Energy Transition in Latin America and the Caribbean.
While the representation of women in the energy sector shows signs of improvement, there is still much work to do to promote gender equality. According to one study, in 2016 women made up 5% of executive directors worldwide, 19% of non-executive directors and 14% of managers in the top 200 power and utility companies.
Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) has the highest percentage of female executive directors in the energy sector, yet the number remains quite low with women representing only 9% of all directors. In addition, only 7% of non- executive directors and 17% of managers are women. In total, women in the region represent 19.7% of the total energy sector employees. Addressing the lack of female representation is important as it can help promote greater gender equality, improve company productivity and accelerate the energy transition.
In 2018, the FSR Lights on Women Initiative and the Inter-American Development Bank joined forces under the Lights on Women LAC Edition to shine a light on women working in the LAC energy sector and bring visibility to their expertise, projects, and initiatives such as Sim, Elas Exitem, which give visibility to the work of women working in the Brazilian energy sector.
Now, the FSR and IDB are partnering to offer 20 scholarships for women contributing to innovative energy solutions, research and initiatives that accelerate the energy transition in LAC.
This scholarship aims to support motivated early- or mid-career women in their professional advancement with new or strengthened capabilities by providing free access to one of the following FSR Online courses:
Why should you apply?
The Florence School of Regulation offers training on a wide variety of energy regulation and policy topics which will provide you with the technical knowledge needed to take advantage of employment and leadership opportunities.
Lights on Women Scholarship recipients benefit from the flexibility provided by FSR’s online courses, which allow you to follow the lessons at your own pace, so to balance learning with other professional and personal commitments. You will have the chance to collaborate and network with professionals from around the world and a world-renowned faculty while gaining the knowledge and skills needed to boost your career.
Recipients will also have opportunities to be featured on the FSR Knowledge Hub, including the chance to publish an article at the completion of the course!
Who is eligible?
We are inviting all early- or mid-career female energy professionals and students, working in Latin America and the Caribbean, who are changemakers in their area of expertise to apply!
What do we look for in a successful candidate? Genuinely engaged individuals who are:
- Actively addressing an energy/climate need or challenge, showing leadership and high potential for future excellence in the energy/climate sphere.
- Involved in energy and climate regulation or policy issues who show holistic interests beyond current responsibilities.
- Highly motivated to invest in learning and networking.
- Open to diversity and have aspirations to join a global community.
How to apply
Apply by 2 August!
The application and supporting documents must be submitted in English. Please have all documents and answers ready before starting the application form:
- Your CV in PDF
- A short biography, around 100–120 words (around 800 characters with spaces)
- In the application form, you will be asked to provide the following:
- A summary of your experience, highlighting your role in accelerating the energy transition. How has your work addressed an energy/climate/sustainability need or challenge? Can you give an example of leadership that demonstrates your potential for future excellence in the energy/climate sphere?
- Your motivation for applying for the scholarship.
- Your future ambitions and how the course will help you achieve your goals
The courses offered by this scholarship are fully online and are only offered in English.
Successful candidates will be informed by the end of August 2020 and will be provided with all relevant information on how to enroll in one of the following fully online courses of their choice:
Apply by 2 August!
Learning with the Florence School of Regulation
Developed with the support of an outstanding international training faculty and high-level experts, our Online, Residential, Blended (online + residential) and Tailor-made courses meet the educational needs of energy professionals at all levels.
FSR Online Training
Our online courses adopt interactive tools and live activities to enhance the learning experience, supported by an innovative platform and a dedicated facilitation team. They allow participants to connect and learn with professors from top universities, specialists in energy regulation, policy-making, and industry as well as peers from around the world.
At the end of the course, you can earn a Certificate of Attendance, a Certificate of Completion or a Certificate of Excellence, depending on your performance and engagement throughout the course. You can take FSR online courses on 3 different levels of engagement, depending on your level of expertise or how much time you can dedicate to the course:
- Level One – Investigator: Learn to speak the language of the topic of your selected course! Take the quizzes, read the materials and join the live classes to earn a Certificate of Attendance.
- Level Two – Advocate: Learn to discuss and debate with colleagues and field specialists! Take the quizzes, read the material and join the live classes and participate in the forum discussions to earn a Certificate of Completion.
- Level Three – Master: Learn to discuss, debate, analyse and attempt to solve/improve a real-life case! Take the quizzes, read the material and join the live classes, participate in the forum discussions and deliver a Final Project to earn a Certificate of Excellence.
The amount of time required to take this course depends on the aimed course level as well as the level of expertise in the subject prior to joining the course.
Questions? Contact us!
Stay in the know
Get the Lights on Women newsletter.